Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Growler Conditioning Russian Roulette

The Homebrewing Q & A site has gotten me worried my batch 1 "Squito" light ale in growlers could explode from over-carbonation. A couple of commenters reported on growler bottoms bursting and sending shards of glass flying - not to mention the loss of sixty-four ounces of beer! The thin walled screw top growlers are prone to failing under excessive pressure. And another downside is the wide yeast cake that forms at the bottom of a growler. The cake makes the final pour murky unless you put the entire contents into a pitcher. On the other hand, one commenter says the half-growlers with Grolsch-style seals have worked for him without incident.

I moved all five growlers into a cooler to lessen the chances of beer spilling all over the place in the event of an incident. Now I wonder if I shouldn't wear safety goggles when I pull those growlers from the cellar. Time to clean some more bottles for the next batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment