Sunday, January 9, 2011

Rating Batch #1 Squito Ale

A well carbonated light ale.
Rating for my first homebrew batch, "Squito" Light Ale extract kit with specialty grains. Now that the bottles have a little more carbonation and have sufficiently conditioned, the brew is nearing its intended character.

Aroma: 5 out of 10

Appearance: 3 out of 5
Taste: 5 out of 10
Palate: 3 out of 5
Overall: 14 out of 20

Total Score: 3.0

A session beer reminiscent of a light English bitter. Two finger head fades slowly leaving decent lacing, then disappears after five minutes or so. Aroma of slightly yeasty whole wheat bread. Weak caramel malt backbone allows the comparatively pronounced hop character to come through more than I would have expected. Body loses most carbonation at the bottom of the glass after ten minutes, but the beer is still refreshing to drink. Finishes dry-ish with a a surprising amount of mouth pucker. After another few of weeks of cold conditioning this beer should be at its peak. I could see it reaching 3.2 or 3.3 rating.




1 comment:

  1. Aroma 5/10? Yeasty whole bread sounds kinda good. I'm so looking forward to trying some when I get back but now I think I'm going to go out for some Bia Hơi.

    ReplyDelete