Saturday, February 26, 2011

Northern Lights IBA Goes to Secondary

Auto-siphoning to a 5 gallon carboy.
A significant layer of trub lay at the bottom of my primary fermenter once the black brew was transferred. The layer was well over an inch thick, so I'm sure a little bit got into the secondary. 

I then began to dry-hop with 1/2 oz. of New Zealand Cascade organic whole hops and 1 oz. of American Summit organic whole hops. My evolving technique is now to boil two dry-hop bags packed with 1 1/2 inch of small round river stones used to try and keep the hops submerged. I then hang the two bags by nylon fishline through the airlock. Knowing these will swell up larger than the carboy opening, I'll plan on siphoning out the beer with the two hop bags left hanging for later extraction.

Palmer's book, "How To Brew", has a tip (way into the lager section) that if you're going to rack to a secondary fermenter, you should do so right after the Kraeusen foam has fallen and vigorous activity in the brew has just started to settle down. I have been waiting till all the visible yeast has really settled. This leads me to suspect I may have found a possible source for the faintly detectible bandaid flavors in my batch #2 Equinox double IPA. In three weeks I will know if the same off-flavors are present in this batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment