Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Rating My Batch #2 Equinox Double IPA

One month after brewing, here is my RateBeer style evaluation of my second brew. 

The dry hopping didn't provide quite the intense hop aroma I had hoped for, but the flavor hops mostly made up for the aroma shortcomings. I also let the ingredient kit sit around for THREE MONTHS! before I bought equipment and learned to actually brew it. Despite the expected hit to freshness, the beer came out pretty good. 

I look forward to trying this recipe, or a variant, again . . . maybe as a whole grain brew. For now, I have two cases of a very drinkable strong IPA to savor.

Beer: Equinox Organic Legacy Double IPA Mash-Extract kit from Seven Bridges Cooperative.


Aroma: 4 out of 10

Appearance: 4 out of 5
Taste: 6 out of 10
Palate: 4 out of 5
Overall: 14 out of 20

Total Score: 3.2

Clean, but mild, grapefruit and floral hop aroma with mild caramel notes, and a slight hint of band-aid. Clear, deep copper-red body has a thick and foamy light-beige head and insane lacing that lasts to the end of the glass. Well balanced taste of pine wood, strong citrus hops, pronounced bitterness, and a medium malt character. Alcohol is well hidden, but quite apparent after a full pint. Nice and chewy mouthfeel is followed by a medium-dry finish, and the best part of this beer, a long lasting pucker. 

No comments:

Post a Comment